A pregnant California woman has filed a claim saying she found a bloody fingertip in a salad at an Applebee’s restaurant in Paso Robles.
Cathleen Martin of Atascadero told The Tribune in San Luis Obispo that she was with her husband and child at the restaurant on December 20 when she discovered the piece of fingertip in her dish.
The family had all reportedly eaten from her Chinese chicken salad before finding the fingertip.
Cathleen Martin of Atascadero has filed a claim saying she found a bloody fingertip (pictured) in a Chinese chicken salad at an Applebee’s restaurant in Paso Robles
‘It was so gross,’ Martin, who is expecting her second child in March, said in a news release.
‘I’m on pins and needles worrying about what my family might have been exposed to.’
Attorney Eric Traut of Santa Ana says the manager confirmed the fingertip belonged to a cook and also noted that restaurant management confirmed the employee had injured himself while making the salad.
A letter from Applebee’s says the restaurant can’t force the cook to undergo medical tests, but a spokesman says the cook has volunteered to undergo screening.
In a statement from area director of the franchisee Apple MidCal, Alan Knapp said the business immediately investigated the incident and that they have shared their sincerest apologies with the Martins, according to The Tribune.
‘We take matters involving the health and safety of our guests and team members seriously,’ the statement said.
‘Accordingly, we immediately investigated and determined that an accident did occur in our kitchen.
‘We discussed the matter with the Martins while still at our restaurant, shared our sincere apologies, and have continued to speak with Mrs Martin in an effort to address her concerns.
Attorney Eric Traut of Santa Ana says the manager confirmed the fingertip belonged to a cook and also noted that restaurant management confirmed the employee had injured himself while making the salad (the Applebee’s pictured above)
‘Additionally, the team member involved volunteered to undergo screening in an effort to provide the peace of mind Mrs Martin seeks.
‘Further, we are retraining our team members on our safety protocols and will take any necessary actions to prevent anything like this from occurring again.’
Traut said on Thursday that the Martins had all undergone medical testing following the incident.
The claim is the precursor to a lawsuit. It seeks unspecified damages, medical expenses and lost income.
‘A body part in a food item is typically very rare, Traut said. ‘More often, we see calls for foreign objects in food, things that break teeth, cut throats. It makes your skin crawl.’