- Sergio Zambrano from Florida has been accused of engaging in sexual activity with a young Oregon girl
- Police said Zambrano lied to the girl about his age when he met her about three weeks on Instagram
- He is said to have also engaged in sexually-explicit chats with her before flying to Portland to spend weekend with her
- Girl told her parents she was spending weekend with a friend but they learned she was not with a friend and Zambrano took her home
- Her parents took her to hospital for treatment and Zambrano was booked on charges including second-degree rape
Sergio Zambrano, 42, of Florida has been accused of sexually sexually abusing a 12-year-old Portland girl
A 42-year-old Florida man is accused of sexually abusing a 12-year-old girl he met on Instagram and allegedly convinced to send him nude photos before flying to Portland and spending the weekend with her.
Sergio Zambrano is said to have lied about his age when he met the girl about three weeks ago on Instagram and engaged in sexually-explicit chats with her, according to a police report.
Authorities said Zambrano then flew to Portland from his Florida home and spent the weekend with the girl, who told her parents she was spending the weekend at a friend’s house, The Oregonian reported.
After the girl’s parents learned their daughter was not with a friend, they reached her on her cell phone and Zambrano took her home, police said.
Her parents then took her to a Portland hospital for treatment for non-life threatening injuries before contacting the police.
Officers and detectives from Portland Police Bureau’s Child Abuse Team were able to locate Zambrano who was taken into custody on Monday in a room he rented at a Motel 6.
He was booked on charges including second-degree rape, second-degree sodomy, first-degree sex abuse, unlawful sexual penetration, using a child in a display of sexually explicit conduct, encouraging child sex abuse and luring a minor.
Zambrano is scheduled to be arraigned on Tuesday afternoon, according to The Oregonian.
The Portland Police Bureau encourages parents to talk to their children about appropriate activity on social media as well as the dangers that exist in the virtual world.
Families who want to learn more on how to prevent child sexual exploitation are encouraged to visit the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children at http://www.missingkids.org.
Officers and detectives from Portland Police Bureau’s Child Abuse Team were able to locate Zambrano who was taken into custody on Monday in a room he rented at a Motel 6 (pictured). He has been booked on charges including second-degree rape, first-degree sex abuse and luring a minor