Two men suspected of taking part in the brutal gang rape of an 18-year-old girl in New York City on Thursday have turned themselves in to police.
The NYPD revealed that they are interviewing the men at the 73rd Precinct in Brooklyn after the victim was attacked by five men at gunpoint in a park.
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said on Sunday that he is ‘disgusted and deeply saddened’ and that every possible step will be taken to find the remaining suspects.
Authorities said the woman was accosted just after 9 p.m. Thursday as she and her father walked inside Osborn Playground in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn.
Police said there were five men, and one pointed a gun at the father and told him to leave.
Scroll down for video
Police are hunting five men who took turns raping a young woman in Brooklyn on Thursday. Pictured: surveillance video shows the suspects entering a bodega before the attack
The 18-year-old victim had been inside Osborne Park in Brownsville with her father when the suspects accosted the pair, police said
Brooklyn Borough President and former police captain Eric Adams said Sunday: ‘There’s a missing piece to this entire incident that five individuals raped a person and there was a lapse in the response to come here’
According to the New York Daily News, he pointed it at the victim’s father and told him to ‘get the f*** out of here.’
Each man raped the woman, police said. The father returned with two police officers, but the attackers fled.
After the attack, the victim was taken to Kings County Hospital, where she was treated and released.
The New York Daily News reported that on Sunday, Brooklyn Borough President and former police captain Eric Adams said: ‘They have enough time to do that and leave the scene? That’s a substantial amount of time.’
He also reportedly said: ‘We need to listen to the 911 call. We need to find out…the response time from the time it was reported. This baffles all my police experience. Something is missing.’
According to the Daily News, Adams and City Councilwoman Darlene Mealy are offering $2,000 ‘for any information leading to an arrest.’
CBS New York reported Adams said: ‘There’s a missing piece to this entire incident that five individuals raped a person and there was a lapse in the response to come here.’
One of the suspects pulled a gun on the 18-year-old victim’s father and ordered him to ‘get the f*** out of here’
Area residents told the New York Daily News the playground’s lampposts do not function, and the it is almost completely dark in the evening.
‘How can [police] wonder how stuff like this happens, and then when it gets dark they’re not here?’ a woman told the newspaper.
The assailants remain on the loose and the NYPD is urging the public to help identify the suspects.
Police have released surveillance video that they say shows the men in a bodega before the rape.
Anyone with information should call Crime Stoppers at 800-577-TIPS.
People can also submit tips at WWW.NYPDCRIMESTOPPERS.COM or text 274637(CRIMES) then enter TIP577. All calls are strictly confidential